Paul Blumenthal, MD, MPH
Chief, Division of Gynecology
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery
For clinical appointments, please phone 650-725-6079.
The Gynecology Division of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Stanford School of Medicine offers care to women of all ages. A full scope of services is available from annual preventive, well women exams to complex medical and surgical care of women during their reproductive and post reproductive years, including Urogynecology care. The Division of Gynecology participates in several national clinical trials involving new hormonal therapies for contraception and menopausal replacement as well as studies on vaginal infections. Our patients benefit from treatment by a highly experienced, multidisciplinary team skilled in both medical and surgical gynecologic diagnosis and therapies. We provide outstanding medical care while recognizing the emotional and social aspects of gynecologic problems and provide the necessary support in these areas.
We care for young women concerned with irregular cycles, contraceptive technology, and stress appropriate, preventive gynecologic care. As women complete their families, we provide counseling and therapeutic management for mid life women in the peri- and postmenopause. In situations where medical therapy is not sufficient, we provide innovative care including laparoscopic, same day, surgery as well as trans cervical procedures to remove fibroids and control bleeding. We also provide diagnostic and preventive therapy for stress incontinence and pelvic floor prolapse.
Our doctors participate in the Stanford Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery program, offering options for women with complex pelvic floor disorders. We provide diagnostic procedures to evaluate incontinence in women as well as both medical interventions and surgical therapies to improve pelvic floor and urinary function. The section performs both vaginal and abdominal procedures such as urinary sling procedures and vaginal suspension procedures.
We provide a variety of both transcervical, laparoscopic and abdominal procedures, including removal of fibroids and ovarian cysts, as well as caring for women with endometriosis and irregular, heavy vaginal bleeding.
The physicians in this Division provide care for women with:
- Interest in new contraceptive technologies including hormonal, IUD and surgical contraception.
- Irregular vaginal bleeding
- Vaginal irritation and infections
- Strategies for midlife wellness including appropriate hormonal replacement therapies
- Urinary incontinence and uterine prolapse
- Well women gynecologic visits
- Evaluation of sexual function
State-of-the-art surgical treatment includes:
- Trans cervical procedures to control uterine bleeding and remove uterine fibroids projecting into the uterine cavity as well as prolapse of the uterus
- Advanced laparoscopic surgical procedures for adhesions, ovarian cysts and endometriosis
- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
- Urinary procedures to treat incontinence including laparoscopic sling and vaginal suspension procedures.